Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sahale Arm, North Cascades, WA Part 1

Camping at the Sahale Glacier has been on our to-do list since last year, so when I heard a rumor that the wildflowers might be in full bloom it was time to move.

My sweet sweet wife is still battling foot trouble, but she graciously packed all my meals and then wished Jennifer and I a good trip.

I really do have the best wife.


We departed Olympia at the reasonable hour of 2:45 am because there are only a handful of backcountry permits available for Sahale Glacier and it's first come first serve. Due to a slight miscalculation on my part, we showed up an hour and a half before the Marblemount Ranger Station opened. This did technically qualify as early enough to be the first ones in line, but next time we may sleep in a bit longer.

Fortunately Jennifer is one of those great trip partners who can roll with anything and instead of trying to invoke bodily harm on me for the miscalculation, just kind of mumbled stuff under her breath for a few minutes that I couldn't really hear.

We did in fact get our permit and a short drive later were at the trailhead.

I'm pretty sure Jennifers pack weighed more than she does, but we are both of the mind that an uncomfortable hike is preferred over an uncomfortable camp. We may pack heavy, but we camp in luxury.



Onwards and upward